Able Health is looking for an Engineering Lead to grow our engineering team as we rapidly scale our product and organization.
We are looking for engineers and hands-on engineering managers who have experience in coaching teams to improve and sustain performance, removing bottlenecks, and ensuring engineering goals are met. Our team thrives on kindness, curiosity, and simplicity. You’ll have the opportunity to work on a team that values collaborators over cowboys, creativity over closed-mindedness, diversity and inclusivity, and sustainable pace over fire-fighting.
About Able Health
Able Health’s mission is to make value-based care simple so that care providers can focus on delivering better care. Our platform helps doctors earn incentives from health plans for delivering better care. We’re a well-funded healthcare startup backed by Y Combinator and located in downtown San Francisco.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with peers to write, review, or provide feedback on a technical design proposal
- Translation of product goals into engineering design and logical units of work
- Whiteboard a fix to a scaling problem — and then make it happen
- Build a new feature, with unit tests, that can support our large-and-growing user base
- Contribute to the career development and support of staff in one-on-ones
Who we’re looking for
- You’ve worked as a principal or lead engineer and helped lead technical direction on an agile software team.
- You have curiosity about how things work and enjoy fostering the creative spark in your teammates.
- You have experience in one or more agile methodologies and dedication to learning what practices and principles works best for the team (read: no agile dogma).
- You are a strong communicator with emotional intelligence. Explaining complex technical concepts to product managers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You are an experienced practitioner of object-oriented programming languages and familiar with using them with and without frameworks (we work largely in Ruby and Ruby on Rails).
- You know how the web works. You know HTTP and TCP/IP and what a good API looks like.
- You have experience with functional RSpec, Mocha, Jasmine, or similar test frameworks.
- You can jump into situations with few guardrails and make things better (but that said, automated testing is important to you).
- You know how to build reliable and safe distributed systems and understand the tradeoffs made when engineering a feature.
- You assess “build vs buy” as part of your engineering strategy.
- When things break — and they will — you are eager and able to help fix things.
Extra nice things to have
- Experience in small start-up environments
- Experience in the healthcare industry or other industries with similar engineering challenges (especially experience building data pipelines in HIPAA/HITECH environments where privacy is paramount)
- Managing web operations and capacity planning for large-scale infrastructure projects
- Familiarity in Ruby/Ruby on Rails
- Solid competency with SQL
Our core product is written in Ruby/Rails, stores data PostgreSQL, and deploys to systems running in Kubernetes on AWS. Our team prefers battle-tested technology whenever possible. If you are more interested in the problem than the tooling (while still looking for opportunities to modernize healthcare technology!) you will be in good company.
- Monthly stipend to cover medical, dental, and vision on your preferred plan
- Competitive salary
- Equity in an pre-Series-A, Y-Combinator-backed startup with customers
- Opportunity to impact patient care and the daily lives of healthcare professionals
- Working in a team with high EQ that values diversity