Product Data Engineer
Able Health is looking for an experienced engineer to help design and scale our batch and streaming data pipelines. You’ll play a pivotal role designing and building a scalable data infrastructure using modern and next generation of data platforms and products.
We are looking for engineers that understand that simplicity and reliability are aspects of a system that can’t be tacked on but are carefully calculated with every decision made. You’ll have the opportunity to work on a team that values collaborators over cowboys, creativity over closed-mindedness, diversity and inclusivity, and sustainable pace over fire-fighting.
About Able Health
Able Health’s mission is to make value-based care simple so that care providers can focus on delivering better care. Our platform helps doctors earn incentives from health plans for delivering better care. We’re a well-funded healthcare startup backed by Y Combinator and located in downtown San Francisco.
What you’ll do
- Build scalable and reliable systems that efficiently process data for a quickly growing product.
- Lead in building and optimizing our data pipelines and ETL processes with data governance as a first principle.
- Work closely as part of our engineering and product teams to roll out new tools and features.
- Work with data infrastructure to triage infra issues and drive to resolution.
- Contribute to internal tools that help us improve our development process, manage our users, and scale our systems.
Who we’re looking for
- You are a strong communicator with emotional intelligence. Explaining complex technical concepts to product managers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You able to assess “build vs buy” as part of your engineering strategy.
- You’ve built large-scale data pipelines professionally using tools and platforms like Hadoop, Hive, and Spark, as well as with relational database engines, and you understand their respective strengths and weaknesses.
- You can craft clean code in Java/Scala/Python/SQL/Another Great Language.™
- You have a background in one or more areas like databases, data processing, distributed systems, statistics or machine learning.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You know how to build reliable and safe distributed systems and understand the tradeoffs made when engineering a feature.
- You can jump into situations with few guardrails and make things better (but that said, automated testing is important to you).
- When things break — and they will — you are eager and able to help fix things.
Extra nice things to have
- Familiarity with on Agile software teams
- Experience in the healthcare industry or other industries with similar engineering challenges (especially experience building data pipelines in HIPAA/HITECH environments where privacy is paramount)
- Familiarity in Ruby, Python, Go, or similar languages often used in web development
- Desire to mentor and teach junior colleagues
- Experience in small start-up environments
Our core product is written in Ruby/Rails, stores data PostgreSQL, and deploys to systems running in Kubernetes on AWS. Our team prefers battle-tested technology whenever possible. If you are more interested in the problem than the tooling you will be in good company.
- Monthly stipend to cover medical, dental, and vision on your preferred plan
- Competitive salary
- Equity in an pre-Series-A, Y-Combinator-backed startup with customers
- Opportunity to impact patient care and the daily lives of healthcare professionals
- Working in a team with high EQ that values diversity